HELLO AND WELCOME
Founded in 1890, the Brasserie Brunehaut (brewery) blends tradition and modernity.
A century later, the brewhouse moved 2km (1.24mi) from the original site, remaining on the same water table with the same pristine water quality.
When a 2007 acquisition changed ownership, annual brewery production stood at 1000 hectoliters. Today, total brewery output has more than quintupled.
Nevertheless, Brunehaut remains an artisanal brewery, strong in its rich history and modern values.
Our commitment to the Future
- We produce the best organic and gluten-free craft beers, without compromise.
- We increase sustainability at every opportunity, to maximize positive impact on our human and natural resources.
- We continuously re-invest in the well-being of our employees and quality of our beer.
- We communicate our values to our customers, suppliers and vendors.
- We are part of a positive spiral with respect for Man and Nature.
- We use money as a means, not an end.
SOUCES OF OUR ORGANIC INGREDIENTS
We source raw, organic materials as hyper-locally as possible. Our water is pumped from a pristine under-brewery aquifer. Our organic barley comes exclusively from Belgium, unless weather intervenes. Hops primarily sources from Germany and Belgium. Other grains and spices are from Belgium and France.
Our Brunehaut brewery, which annually brews 6,000 hectoliters of organic beer, has become the European Community's first B Corp certified brewery.
Already labeled Bio (Organic), Nature & Progrès and Prix Juste Producteur, we produce the only official organic Belgian Abbey beer (Abbaye de Saint Martin) plus the premier, gluten-free Brunehaut Organic labels.
- The world's first brewer to distribute recyclable export kegs,
- our 350 rooftop solar panels produce 75% of required brewing electricity.
- A water consumption reduction initiative is also underway.
- Our output is 100% organic.
- Brunehaut gluten-free beers are recognized as the world's best.
- We source ingredients as locally as possible and pay our farmers at accepted fair-trade levels.
- Our production investments are motivated first by employee well-being.
- "Partner" collaborations are made with companies who share our circular economy principles. (Sturm, Houblonde, La Miche, etc.)
Our range of beers
ORGANIC GLUTEN FREE BEER
ORGANIC ABBEY BEERS
Bière bio au vieux genièvre
OUR SECRET METHODS FOR
BREWING ORGANIC BEER
Water, Malt, Hops
The brewer carefully selector 100% natural ingredients, from local farms. This is an essential condition for premium brewing.
Barley, malt and other grains are ground into a coarse flour.
The flour is next mixed with water and precisely heated. At this stage, the heat transforms the brewing flour into a “mash” as barley enzymes turn starch to sugar.
Next, our brewing mash is filtered and separated into liquid and solid components. The liquid, which becomes beer, is called wort. The solid, known as draff, is a brewing byproduct eventually reused for other non-brewing purposes, often as animal food.
The must is brought to a boil. During and after boiling hops and spices will be added to infuse in the must.
Our cooled must is next transferred, with yeast, to a fermentation tank. For ten days, the yeast transforms all the sugar into alcohol, CO2 and esthers.
After fermentation, the beer temperature is next brought to 0°C for a minimum of ten days. This guarantees maturation of the beer which is also refined and clarified.
Next, after light filtration, comes bottling. Brunehaut beers are bottled in 33cl and 75cl bottles plus 20 liter recyclable kegs.
Beer foam and bubbles are produced naturally by in-the-bottle fermentation. This a process is equivalent to the “secondary” Champagne method.
THE ALLIANCE OF
TRADITION AND MODERNITY